Scarborough, ON M1K 2B3
Executive Director: Janice Hayes
Board Chair: Chilton Ng
Charitable Reg. #: 12620 7786 RR0001
Grade: NRCharity not yet rated on the public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.
Need for Funding
Cents to the Cause
Full-time staff #48
Avg. Compensation $66,186
Top 10 Staff Salary Range
|$300k - $350k||0|
|$250k - $300k||0|
|$200k - $250k||0|
|$160k - $200k||0|
|$120k - $160k||1|
|$80k - $120k||2|
|$40k - $80k||7|
Founded in 1914, YouthLink seeks to highlight and develop the strengths and dreams of youth to improve the health and well-being of all who live in Scarborough. YouthLink has reinvented itself over 105 years. It began providing programs in Scarborough in 1983 through a field office. With Scarborough’s rapid growth and rapid increase in poverty, YouthLink relocated to Scarborough to respond to the extreme lack of services for youth in this community. The poverty rate in Scarborough is 27%, with about 22,000 Scarborough youth living in poverty.
YouthLink runs a hub of community programs through seven facilities in Scarborough: it runs the Pathways to Education program for 380 students, a What’s Up walk-in mental health counselling service for youth, supportive co-op housing, a homeless youth shelter and other programs for youth and families. For the female’s residential home, where girls up to age 18 receive supportive housing and counselling, Skylark handles all applications. This program seeks to help girls build the foundation for independent living. YouthLink is an anchor agency for United Way Toronto.
During 2017, over 8,711 youth got services through YouthLink, a 31% increase over 2016. Each youth had, on average, 11.6 contacts with YouthLink compared with 15.4 average contacts in 2016. YouthLink is accredited with Canadian Centre for Accreditation, as are many social service providers, and also accredited with Children’s Mental Health Ontario.
Recent News: In March 2019, YouthLink opened its new co-ed youth transitional home and emergency shelter. It has 10 emergency shelter beds and 41 transition long-term beds. This is Scarborough’s first and only youth homeless shelter. It is unique within Toronto as it has a dog kennel. For many homeless youths, dogs are security, body-heat, and a great source of companionship. Many youths living on the streets would not use shelters as it means leaving their dog alone. Scarborough’s new shelter allows youth to come in, get supports and services with their dog. For youth staying in transition rooms, dogs can sleep in the same room.
The Scarborough shelter is modeled on breaking the cycle of homelessness with individual rooms rather than dormitories and wrap around services rather than pushing homeless people out first thing in the morning. Youthlink’s services for homeless youth include counselling, life skills, schooling, trade skills training and drug addiction rehab. YouthLink estimates there are more than 1,000 homeless youths in Scarborough. For more, CBC’s New homeless shelter for youth in Scarborough.
Results and Impact:
Results and impact: No recent results or impact reporting found in YouthLink’s annual report or website.
Grant request: $10,000 for food for approximately 60 of the 380 Pathways students who attend tutoring four nights a week from 4 pm to 8 pm during the school year.
With donations of $2.7m, Charity Intelligence considers YouthLink a medium-size charity. In 2018, YouthLink received $711k (a 1% decline) from United Way Toronto, and $1.4m (1% more) from Pathways Canada. YouthLink’s audited financial statements do not disclose activity-based costing, namely how much is spent on programs, management/admin, and fundraising. Ci has used the information provided in YouthLinks regulatory filing. This information is not independently verified. YouthLink reports management/admin costs of 20% as a percent of total revenues and fundraising costs of 3%. YouthLink spends 23% on overhead. For every dollar donated, 77 cents go to the cause which is within Ci’s reasonable range and slightly better than the average for charities analysed.
In 2017, YouthLink had a $3.2m line of credit relative to $1.1m in funds creating a negative funding reserve of $2.1m. With the sale of a property, YouthLink paid down off the credit line and has funding reserves of $772k. This covers 15% of its annual program costs.
With the new transitional and homeless shelter, YouthLinks spending on buildings was $3.9m in F2017 and $778k in F2018.
Financial RatiosFiscal year ending March
|Administrative costs as % of revenues||19.2%||19.6%|
|Fundraising costs as % of donations||3.0%||1.9%|
|Program cost coverage (%)||15.9%||(47.5%)|
Summary Financial StatementsAll figures in $s
|Business activities (net)||39,155||70,626|
|Cash flow from operations||(341,195)||22,635|