Canadian Red Cross
Ottawa, ON K2P 2P2
President & CEO: Conrad Sauvé
Board Chair: Sara John Fowler
Charitable Reg. #: 11921 9814 RR0001
Social Results Reporting
Grade: B+The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.
Program Cost Coverage
Full-time staff #1,522
Avg. Compensation $57,989
Top 10 Staff Salary Range
|$300k - $350k||1|
|$250k - $300k||1|
|$200k - $250k||2|
|$160k - $200k||6|
|$120k - $160k||0|
|$80k - $120k||0|
|$40k - $80k||0|
About Canadian Red Cross:
Founded in Canada in 1896, Canadian Red Cross's mission is to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity in Canada to make a positive difference for millions of people – around the world and across the street. Canadian Red Cross is putting greater emphasis on its programs for provincial and local governments to deliver critical social services in times of need. Canadian programs (community health, disaster management, and safety) are nearly twice as large as international programs. Canadian Red Cross reports more than 2 million Canadians use its services every year.
Canadian programs: include Health and Community $71.1m spent to F2016 meeting the needs of Canada's aging population. Canadian Red Cross (CRC) supported nearly 200,000 aging Canadians with 350,000 meals, 273,000 pieces of medical equipment loaned and 300,000 rides for medical appointments (average cost per client $355). Disaster management in Canada $51.3m spent in F2016: CRC helped 46,973 Canadians in 2,915 disasters/tragedies. Highlights include welcoming and settling 25,000 Syrians with government funding and donations of $3.2m, $6.3m spent on disaster recovery for Alberta Floods and Lac Megantic, and emergency aid to 10,000 people affected by Saskatchewan wildfires. In F2016 Canadian Red Cross conducted disaster preparedness and response training with 200 Indigenous communities. Canadian Red Cross provided 220,000 Canadians with disaster preparedness training though 1,500 disaster preparedness events. Canadian Red Cross has agreements to provide disaster response management in 8 provinces and 800 municipalities. Prevention and safety $20.4m includes 1.2 million Canadians taking CRC swimming lessons and CRC training 30,000 swimming instructors. In F2016, Canadian Red Cross released new first aid guidelines for treating wounds, EpiPens, and sport concussions.
International programs $81.5m spent in F2016 of which $34.1m was funded by the Canadian government (42%). CRC reports international development projects in Afghanistan, Bangladesh, China, Dominican Republic, Ethiopia, Haiti, Honduras, India and Indonesia. International projects focus on maternal health and helping the most marginalized through "last mile" initiatives. Canadian Red Cross reports spending $8.7m in disaster response aid to the Nepal earthquake in F2016 (32% of the $27m raised in the Nepal Earthquake disaster appeal) and $2.3m in Lebanon to support medical units helping Syrian refugees.
May 2016 Fort McMurray Fire: www.charityintelligence.ca/fort-mcmurray-fires
Lac Megantic 3-year update: www.charityintelligence.ca/news-and-views/ci-articles?id=201
Canadian Red Cross is one of Canada's largest charities measured by donor support with over 800,000 donors giving $140.1 million in F2016. It is one of Canada's Major 100 charities and is always in the Top 10 largest Canadian charities. In F2016, Canadian Red Cross's fundraising costs were 17% of donations and administrative costs are 15% of total revenues. For every dollar donated, overhead costs are 32% with 68 cents on a dollar donated going to the cause. Overhead ratios are within Charity Intelligence's reasonable range. Canadian Red Cross has funding reserves of $186.5 million (which included deferred restricted funds to be spent on disaster recovery) that cover 79% of its program costs, showing a need for funding.
Canadian Red Cross uses external fundraisers in a limited manner ($12.0m in F2016). Fundraising costs on donations raised by external fundraisers are 57%. Giving directly to CRC is more cost efficient.
This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by CRC. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.
Updated on March 23, 2017 by Kate Bahen, assisted by Lynn Tay.
Financial RatiosFiscal year ending March
|Administrative costs as % of revenues||15.0%||17.5%||11.3%|
|Fundraising costs as % of donations||17.4%||18.6%||7.7%|
|Program cost coverage (%)||78.6%||82.9%||76.5%|
Summary Financial StatementsAll figures in $000s
|Fees for service||5,462||0||0|
|Program costs - International||81,494||82,592||73,536|
|Program costs - Canada||155,718||152,893||219,281|
|Cash flow from operations||(8,264)||(40,342)||46,471|