Wateraid Canada

321 Chapel Street
Ottawa, ON K1N 7Z2
CEO: Nicole Hurtubise
Board Chair: David McInnes

Website: www.wateraidcanada.com
Charitable Reg. #: 11928 8934 RR0001
Sector: International Aid
Operating Charity

Donor Accountability

Grade: B

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to The Cause

95¢
75¢
avg
65¢
50¢
2015 2016 2017
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Impact Rating: Low

Full-time staff #20

Avg. Compensation $52,595

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 1
$80k - $120k 2
$40k - $80k 6
< $40k 1
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2016

About Wateraid Canada:

Founded in 1987, WaterAid Canada (formally WaterCan) is one of seven WaterAid member branches that coordinate and fund operations for WaterAid’s country programs. WaterAid Canada’s mission is to improve access to safe water, hygiene and sanitation in the world’s poorest communities. Through partnerships with local, grassroots organizations, WaterAid Canada helps poor and marginalized people develop practical and sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) projects to improve the community’s well-being. International WASH programs made up 88% of program costs in F2016, withCanadian public engagement activities accounting for the remaining 12%. WaterAid Canada contributes to WaterAid global’s charitable work.

WaterAid Canada became the Canadian member of WaterAid, the leading global NGO federation focused exclusively on improving poor people’s access to safe water, improved hygiene, and sanitation in developing countries. WaterAid’s overarching goal is to provide safe water to everyone in the world by 2030.

WaterAid breaks down its international programs into three major groups: safe water, sanitation, and hygiene. A reported 663 million people live without clean water around the world, 2.4 billion do not have access to clean washrooms, and 289 thousand children under five die annually due to diseases caused by poor water and sanitation. In F2016, WaterAid reached over 1.9m people with safe water, helped 3m people gain access to toilets, and helped 4.7m people with hygiene promotion. The charity runs WASH programs in 31 countries across Central America, Asia, South Asia, Southern Africa, West Africa, and East Africa.

Financial Review:

WaterAid Canada is a medium-sized charity with total donations and special events fundraising of $3.0m in F2017. Administrative costs are 2% of revenues and fundraising costs are 26% of donations and special events. Per dollar donated to the charity, $0.73 goes towards its programs, which falls within Ci’s reasonable range for overhead spending. Funding reserves of $3.1m can cover 45% of annual program costs.

This profile is an update that is currently being reviewed by WaterAid Canada. Comments and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on August 23, 2017 by Katie Khodawandi.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
201720162015
Administrative costs as % of revenues 1.7%4.9%7.6%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 25.6%49.7%38.9%
Program cost coverage (%) 45.1%99.6%62.9%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
201720162015
Donations 3,0081,0051,005
Government funding 3,0591,4781,020
Special events 506482595
Other income 1,497292347
Total revenues 8,0713,2572,966
Program costs - International 6,5592,3141,721
Program costs - Canada 400324277
Administrative costs 135161226
Fundraising costs 900738622
Cash flow from operations 77(280)120
Funding reserves 3,1412,6281,257
Note: Ci reported Wateraid UK donations of $1.5m in F2017, $286k in F2016 and $320k in F2015 in other revenue. Ci reported Walk for Water revenues in special events.  Ci did not adjust for changes in deferred contributions. Ci backed out amortization of $8k in F2015, $7k in F2014 and $5k in F2013 from administrative costs. Ci included HST recoverable of $28k in F2017 and $39k in F2016 in funding reserves (Ci could not determine the amount for F2015).

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by the charity.

Go to top