Heart and Stroke Foundation of New Brunswick
Saint John, NB E2L 2B5
CEO: Kurtis Sisk
Board President: Mary McKenna
Charitable Reg. #: 11924 6940 RR0001
Grade: D+The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.
Need for Funding
Cents to The Cause
Full-time staff #21
Avg. Compensation $47,310
Top 10 Staff Salary Range
|$300k - $350k||0|
|$250k - $300k||0|
|$200k - $250k||0|
|$160k - $200k||0|
|$120k - $160k||0|
|$80k - $120k||2|
|$40k - $80k||8|
About Heart and Stroke Foundation of New Brunswick:
Heart and Stroke Foundation of New Brunswick (HSFNB) is the only provincial division of Heart & Stroke Canada not consolidated into the national Heart & Stroke Foundation of Canada. Its mission is to prevent disease, save lives and promote recovery to help people live healthy lives free of heart disease and stroke. HSFNB’s major activities include promoting healthy living, funding medical research and advocating for policy changes related to heart health. In its most recent 2016 statement of operations, HSFNB reports spending $1.1m on Health Promotion, making up 64% of program costs, and $625k on Medical Research, making up the remaining 36%.
As part of its Health Promotion activities, Heart and Stroke Foundation of New Brunswick reports training over 5,000 high school students across the province in hands-only CPR courses. The charity also trained more than 12,000 people during the year through resuscitation courses and launched a pilot program called Heart Healthy Schools that works with elementary schools to make healthy choices the easiest choices to make.
Heart and Stroke Foundation of New Brunswick states that providing Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs) for public access is one of its priority activities. In 2016, HSFNB placed 24 AEDs for the public use when needed in facilities across the province. The charity states that during the year, these devices saved three lives.
Through its advocacy efforts, Heart and Stroke Foundation of New Brunswick advocated for reducing consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks and expanding tobacco control coverage in 2016. The charity saw success in the year when Bill 25, the Good Samaritan Legislation, achieved royal assent. This bill, which gives legal protection to those who help injured or ill people, aims to reduce bystanders’ hesitation to help.
Ci notes that in the past, Heart and Stroke Foundation of New Brunswick had its own website independent of Heart & Stroke Canada. At the time of this profile update, Ci could not find a stand-alone website for HSFNB, only finding a separate statement of operations posted on the National website.
Heart and Stroke Foundation of New Brunswick is a medium-sized charity with total donations and special events fundraising of just under $3.0m in F2015. Administrative costs are 7% of revenues and fundraising costs are 32% of donations and special events. Per dollar donated to the charity, $0.60 goes towards its programs, which does not fall within Ci’s reasonable range for overhead spending. The charity’s funding reserves of $1.4m can cover 72% of annual program costs.
Donor Advisory: Ci had to make a formal request for the charity’s financial statements through the CRA. F2015 figures represent the most current information Ci received. The F2015 financials Ci received were complete, with detailed financial notes. F2014 and F2013 financials did not come with detailed notes. Included in F2015 notes is a disclaimer stating that effective September 1, 2011, all provincial Heart and Stroke Foundations, except Heart and Stroke Foundation of New Brunswick, dissolved to form one national organization – the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada. Heart and Stroke Foundation of New Brunswick is still a separate registered charity based on CRA filings, with F2016 being its most recent T3010 CRA filing.
This charity report is an update that is currently being reviewed by Heart and Stroke Foundation of New Brunswick. Comments and edits may be forthcoming.
Updated on June 27, 2017 by Katie Khodawandi.
Financial RatiosFiscal year ending August
|Administrative costs as % of revenues||7.4%||7.1%||6.0%|
|Fundraising costs as % of donations||32.2%||40.4%||30.8%|
|Program cost coverage (%)||72.1%||89.1%||70.7%|
Summary Financial StatementsAll figures in $s
|Cash flow from operations||(61,360)||(257,085)||(18,728)|