Health Care Foundation of St. John's

71 Goldstone Street, Suite 103
St. John's, NL A1B 5C3
President & CEO: Paul Snow
Board Chair: Debbie Patten

Charitable Reg. #: 85699 2334 RR0001
Sector: Health - Hospital Foundation
Public Foundation

Donor Accountability

Grade: C

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements available only upon request [ Audited financial statement for most recent year ]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to The Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #9

Avg. Compensation $72,931

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 1
$40k - $80k 6
< $40k 2
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Health Care Foundation of St. John's:

Founded in 2002 when General Hospital Foundation, St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital Foundation and Waterford Foundation merged, Health Care Foundation of St. John’s (HCFSJ) supports the Eastern Health network. Eastern Health is comprised of five hospitals: Health Sciences Centre, St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital, Waterford Hospital, Dr. L. A. Miller Centre and Dr. Walter Templemen Health Centre. HCFSJ grants money to Eastern Health to buy equipment, renovate hospital spaces, and sponsor research and education. Eastern Health is the largest health authority in Newfoundland and Labrador, employing 13,000 people and 700 medical staff and serving a population of 307,000. It provides 7 acute care facilities, 6 community health centres, 12 long-term care facilities and offices in 30 communities. 

In F2015, Health Care Foundation of St. John’s allocated $3.7m to Eastern Health. HCFSJ spent $3.2m on purchasing necessary equipment for the five hospitals, $353k on improving hospital facilities and comfort items, and $161k on education and research. The foundation began to replace medical equipment and technology in 17 operating suites in St. Clare’s Hospital and Health Sciences Centre, transforming the rooms into Integrated Operating Suites. In F2015, HCFSJ gave $2,000 scholarships to five individuals to pursue higher education. Health Care Foundation of St. John’s also renovated LeMarchant House, an old community-based mental health centre. It continued to fund mental health research and addiction programs as part of its Moving Lives Forward program, which began in 2007. 

Financial Review:

Health Care Foundation of St. John’s is a Mid-Cap charity with donations and special event revenue of $4.6m in F2015. Administrative costs are 16% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 10% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 26%, falling within Ci’s reasonable range. HCFSJ has funding reserves of $5.3m that can cover program costs for 1.4 years.  

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on June 29th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
Administrative costs as % of revenues 15.9%17.4%20.0%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 9.7%9.7%9.5%
Program cost coverage (%) 141.3%157.4%136.7%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 3,8763,6793,695
Lotteries (net) 803904(246)
Special events 7576941,074
Investment income 926544
Total revenues 5,5285,3414,568
Grants 3,7333,1962,895
Administrative costs 862917903
Fundraising costs 450423454
Cash flow from operations 483805318
Funding reserves 5,2765,0313,956
Note: Ci reports lottery revenues net of expenses, reducing both revenues and expenses by $2.4m in F2015, $2.2m in F2014 and $246k in F2013.   

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top