You may also like:
Bruce Trail Conservancy
Preserving a ribbon of wilderness, for everyone, forever.
Dundas, ON
Escarpment Biosphere Conservancy
Protecting the Niagara Escarpment World Biosphere Reserve
Toronto, ON
Alberta Conservation Association
Conserving Alberta's Wild Side
Sherwood Park, AB

Trans Canada Trail

321 de la Commune West
Montréal, QC H2Y 2E1
Board Chair: Paul LaBarge
President & CEO: Deborah Apps

Charitable Reg. #: 13749 6741 RR0001
Sector: Sports & Recreation
Operating Charity

Results Reporting

Grade: C

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [Audited financial statement for most recent year]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to the Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #13

Avg. Compensation $77,376

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 1
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 1
$80k - $120k 2
$40k - $80k 6
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2014

About Trans Canada Trail:

Established in 1992, Trans Canada Trail is a national charity that  promotes the development and use of the Trans Canada Trail.  The charity provides funds to local trail builders to support the development of the trail.  The Trans Canada Trail is one of the world’s longest networks of trails.  The trail is a multi-use recreational trail comprised of land and water routes across urban, rural and wilderness landscapes.  As of F2015, the trail is 80% complete and it is projected to be completed by 2017.  When completed, the trail will stretch nearly 24,000 kilometres from the Atlantic to the Pacific to the Arctic oceans, linking Canadians in close to 1,000 communities.  In F2015, the charity spent $8.4m on trail construction and $905k on promoting the use of the trail.

Financial Review:

In F2015, non-government donations more than doubled from $2.9m in F2014 to $6.1m in F2015. The charity did not specify the source of additional donations.  F2015 expenses also grew dramatically.  Trail construction expenses more than tripled from $2.4m in F2014 to $8.4m in F2015.  Trail promotion expenses nearly doubled from $505k in F2014 to $905k  in F2015.  

In F2015, Trans Canada Trail  spent 7% of revenues on administrative costs and 23% of donations on fundraising costs. Total overhead costs of 30% fall within Ci's reasonable range.  The charity  has funding reserves of $11.6m, including donor-endowed funds of $53k. This funding reserve can cover annual programs for 15 months.

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by  Trans Canada Trail.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
Administrative costs as % of revenues 7.2%9.1%9.0%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 23.0%24.0%28.5%
Program cost coverage (%) 124.8%119.9%64.5%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 6,0832,8562,695
Government funding 7,2577,2295,930
Investment income 1114316
Other income 547
Total revenues 13,45710,1318,649
Program costs 9,2962,8916,342
Administrative costs 965917780
Fundraising costs 1,401685767
Cash flow from operations 1,7955,639760
Funding reserves 11,5993,4654,087
Note: The charity's F2015 T3010 filing did not indicate total number of employees and so Ci used the data from the F2014 filing.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top