Wildlife Preservation Canada

RR#5, 5420 Highway 6 North
Guelph, ON N1H 6J2
Executive Director: Dr. Lance Woolaver, Jr.
Treasurer: Shripal Doshi

Website: www.wildlifepreservation.ca
Charitable Reg. #: 89171 0535 RR0001
Sector: Environment
Operating Charity

Results Reporting

Grade: B-

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [Audited financial statement for most recent year]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to the Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #4

Avg. Compensation $53,988

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 4
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2014

About Wildlife Preservation Canada:


Founded in 1985, Wildlife Preservation Canada saves animal species at risk from extinction in Canada.  The charity achieves this mission by 1)  working hands-on with species requiring direct intervention to recover, and 2)  providing opportunities for Canadian conservation scientists to grow their expertise in working with animal species at risk.  The charity reported that over 200 of Canada’s native terrestrial animal species are considered at risk.  In 2010, the charity responded by creating the Conservation Action Plan, a scientifically-driven and forward-looking plan which identifies 47 species in critical danger [1].  The charity believes that the loss of any one species can damage the web of life, resulting in unexpected environmental changes that impact other species.  The charity is the only national charitable organization in Canada that focuses exclusively on the active recovery of critically endangered wildlife.

In F2015, the charity spent $836k on protecting endangered species: 41% on  reptiles and amphibians, 25% on pollinators, 20% on birds, and 14% on other species.  In F2015, the charity reported that reptiles and amphibians are at greater risk of extinction than any other class of wildlife in Canada.  The charity reported saving and releasing 1,385 turtle hatchlings, 341 Taylor's Checkerspot butterflies, 107 Oregon Spotted frogs, and 73 Eastern Loggerhead shrikes in F2015.  The charity published 3 scientific research papers and allowed 31 biologists to gain hands-on experiences.


Financial Review:

In F2015, Wildlife Preservation Canada  spent 9% of revenues on administrative costs and 15% of donations on fundraising costs. Total overhead costs of 24% fall within Ci's reasonable range. The charity has funding reserves of $396k, which can cover annual programs for 5 months.

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by  Wildlife Preservation Canada.


Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending December
Administrative costs as % of revenues 8.8%9.6%11.4%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 15.1%17.5%24.1%
Program cost coverage (%) 42.1%63.8%56.6%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $s
Donations 657,077488,123319,350
Government funding 584,613593,898659,297
Special events 13,55722,56530,003
Other income 5,10413,98520,556
Total revenues 1,260,3511,118,5711,029,206
Program costs 835,999815,946727,360
Grants 105,470155,60998,885
Administrative costs 110,307107,041116,922
Fundraising costs 101,18089,48484,347
Other costs 146,90000
Cash flow from operations (39,505)(49,509)1,692
Funding reserves 396,405619,993467,447
Note: The charity's F2015 T3010 filing was not posted on the CRA's website when this profile was created and compensation information is based on the charity's F2014 T3010 filing.  The charity did not report F2013 fundraising costs separately from administrative costs, so Ci used the fundraising costs stated on CRA's F2013 T3010.  In F2015, the charity spent $147k on restructuring which Ci categorized into other costs; the charity did not clarify the source of the cost in detail.  Footnote: [1] http://wildlifepreservation.ca/about-us/conservation-action-plan-our-strategy

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top