You may also like:
Ontario Nature
Making a Difference for Nature
Toronto, ON
Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society
CPAWS is Canada's voice for wilderness
Ottawa, ON
Western Canada Wilderness Committee
Protecting Canada's wilderness and wildlife for over 35 years
Vancouver, BC

Wildlife Conservation Society Canada

344 Bloor Street West, Suite 204
Toronto, ON M5S 3A7
President: Justina Ray
Director: Biz Agnew

Charitable Reg. #: 85425 5882 RR0001
Sector: Environment
Operating Charity

Results Reporting

Grade: C

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [Audited financial statement for most recent year]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to the Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #12

Avg. Compensation $97,009

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 3
$80k - $120k 6
$40k - $80k 1
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Wildlife Conservation Society Canada:

Established in 2004, Wildlife Conservation Society  Canada is an independent affiliate of Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), a global organization founded in 1895 with operations in more than 62 countries. WCS hopes for a world where wildlife thrives in healthy lands and seas, valued by societies that embrace and benefit from the diversity and integrity of life on Earth.  Management of WCS Canada is provided by Dr. Justina Ray, who has led the Canadian operations since inception. 

WCS saves wildlife and wild places worldwide through science, conservation action, education, and inspiring people to value nature.  WCS  Canada contributes mainly through field research on wildlife, sharing its results through publications, and providing advice on conservation policies and planning for protected areas. Wildlife Conservation Society Canada also provides fellowships to graduate students to support field research at 2 long-term conservation sites: the boreal region of northern Ontario and the northern boreal mountains of Yukon and British Columbia. 

Financial Review:

In F2015, Wildlife Conservation Society Canada spent 12% of revenues on administrative costs and 1% of donations on fundraising costs. Total overhead costs of 13% fall within Ci's reasonable range.  

Less than 5% of revenue came from individual and corporate donations, and WCS Canada's revenue depends heavily on grants from governments, NGOs, WCS, and other foundations.  WCS Canada has total funding reserves of $2m, which can cover annual grants and programs for 11 months.

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by  Wildlife Conservation Society  Canada.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending June
Administrative costs as % of revenues 12.3%10.9%8.9%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 1.1%1.2%0.9%
Program cost coverage (%) 93.2%83.7%65.5%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $s
Donations 2,742,8982,407,6082,370,091
Government funding 182,224177,197583,799
Total revenues 2,925,1222,584,8052,953,890
Program costs 2,154,3282,073,0762,283,014
Administrative costs 358,988281,634261,353
Fundraising costs 28,81128,09921,701
Cash flow from operations 382,995201,996387,822
Funding reserves 2,007,9151,735,3611,496,005
Note: Ci used fundraising allocations from the charity's T3010 CRA filing as the charity did not report fundraising costs separately from administration costs on its audited financial statements.

Comments added by the Charity:

Funding Reserve: WCS Canada does not use deferred revenue but rather runs a fund balance from year to year. The presentation of our annual audited financial statements provides a breakdown of the annual funding reserves into restricted and unrestricted funds. Restricted funds are those that have been granted for a particular program, project or activity and are time limited. They include multi-year grants and one year grants that span multiple fiscal years. At the end of fiscal 2012, restricted funds were $1,017,264 and unrestricted $165,412.

Go to top