You may also like:
UJA Federation of Greater Toronto
To preserve and strengthen the quality of Jewish life in Greater Toronto, Canada, Israel, and around the world through philanthropic, volunteer and professional leadership
Fundraising Organization
Toronto , ON
Federation CJA
Envisioning a vibrant, inclusive and thriving Montreal Jewish Community
Fundraising Organization
Montreal, QC

Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver

200 - 950 West 41st Avenue
Vancouver, BC V5Z 2N7
CEO: Ezra Shaken
Board Chair: Diane Switzer

Charitable Reg. #: 11897 4278 RR0001
Sector: Fundraising Organization
Operating Charity

Results Reporting

Grade: B

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [Audited financial statement for most recent year]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to the Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #20

Avg. Compensation $80,610

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 1
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 2
$80k - $120k 4
$40k - $80k 3
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver:

Since its start in 1987, the Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver (JFGV) serves the Jewish community locally and extends support to Jewish communities abroad. It is one of 12 regional organizations across Canada that is a member of the Jewish Federations of Canada. JFGV also provides relief to crises in Israel by working with The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs.

To date, JFGV has raised more than $140 million. The main source of its funding is the Federation Annual Campaign. Funds and grants raised from this campaign go to partner agencies to deliver programs and services to the community. JFGV’s local partners include food banks, schools and community centres. The programs are directed towards the poor, youth and seniors to bring the community together. Recent reports by JFGV show that youth feel isolated from the Jewish community and that seniors will double in population by 2030.

JFGV has a community consultation process to reassess the community’s needs. Based on these studies, the Planning Council now includes more youth and has increased funding towards education. Newer projects also include a Jewish Addiction Services program.

Financial Review:

Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver is a large charity which received donations of $11.9m in F2015. Administrative costs are 3% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 14% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 17%, falling within Ci’s reasonable range. JFGV has funding reserves of $53m that can cover its annual program costs for 5 years.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on June 1st, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
Administrative costs as % of revenues 2.8%2.3%2.7%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 13.8%11.5%12.9%
Program cost coverage (%) 502.2%472.6%390.7%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 11,90815,52213,424
Investment income 4,7155,0983,303
Other income 6585140
Total revenues 16,68820,70516,868
Program costs - International 2,6912,3962,187
Program costs - Canada 5,8616,3135,902
Grants 2,0661,6162,363
Administrative costs 340356361
Fundraising costs 1,6381,7771,733
Other costs 804086
Cash flow from operations 4,0128,2064,235
Funding reserves 53,31848,79340,839
Note: Ci has shifted amortization from administrative costs and fundraising costs to report amortization as a separate non-cash expense.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top