University of Western Ontario

Stevenson Hall, Suite 2107
London, ON N6A 5B8
President & CEO: Amit Chakma
Vice President: Janice Deakin

Charitable Reg. #: 10816 2587 RR0001
Sector: Education - University
Operating Charity

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Results Reporting

Grade: A

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [Audited financial statement for most recent year]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to the Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #4,284

Avg. Compensation $108,843

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 3
$300k - $350k 3
$250k - $300k 4
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About University of Western Ontario:

Founded in 1878, University of Western Ontario is a public research university located in London, Ontario, Canada.  The university has 23,383 undergraduate students, 2,977 masters students, 2,026 PHDs, and 1,410 full-time staff, for a student to full-time staff ratio of 24:1.  The university offers more than 400 different specializations, majors, and minors at the undergraduate level.  The university has  12 schools and 3 affiliated university colleges.  In F2015, only 3% of total revenue came from donations and 32% of total revenue came from student fees.  The university has raised $642m for its $750m 'Be Extraordinary' fundraising campaign as of 2016.  The $750m will be allocated as follows: $277m or 37% to student awards and programs, $199m or 27% to attracting and retaining top faculty members, $182m or 24% to academic research, and $92m or 12% to infrastructure. 

Financial Review:

In F2015, University of Western Ontario's administrative costs were 2% of revenues while fundraising costs were 12% of donations. Total overhead costs of 14% fall within Ci's reasonable range. The university has funding reserves of $1,069m, including donor-endowed funds of $532m. This funding reserve can cover annual programs for 13 months or 6 months excluding  donor-endowed funds.

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by  University of Western Ontario.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending April
Administrative costs as % of revenues 2.1%2.1%2.0%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 12.2%12.5%10.2%
Program cost coverage (%) 107.2%89.9%80.2%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 55,01052,35655,545
Government funding 455,432491,345476,682
Fees for service 508,156468,402429,936
Investment income 80,78290,35562,703
Other income 22,50618,80319,309
Total revenues 1,121,8861,121,2611,044,175
Program costs 996,781988,648945,660
Administrative costs 21,63121,19219,676
Fundraising costs 6,7246,5245,664
Cash flow from operations 96,750104,89773,175
Funding reserves 1,068,753888,922757,993
Note: Ci used fundraising allocations from the university's T3010 CRA filing as the charity did not report fundraising costs separately from administration costs on its audited financial statements.  Ci included net revenue from sales and services, reducing both revenues and expenses by $39m in F2015, $38m in F2014, and $37m in F2013.    

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top