26 Berkeley Street
Toronto, ON M5A 2W3
General Director: Mathew Jocelyn
Managing Director: Su Hutchinson

Charitable Reg. #:11922 0028 RR0001

STAR RATING

Ci's Star Rating is calculated based on the following independent metrics:

🔓
Unlock Charity Ratings

FINANCIAL TRANSPARENCY

Audited financial statements available only upon request.

C-

RESULTS REPORTING

Grade based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

n/r

DEMONSTRATED IMPACT

The demonstrated impact per dollar Ci calculates from available program information.

NEED FOR FUNDING

Charity's cash and investments (funding reserves) relative to how much it spends on programs in most recent year.

77%

CENTS TO THE CAUSE

For a dollar donated, after overhead costs of fundraising and admin/management (excluding surplus) 77 cents are available for programs.

You may also like:


Banff Centre
Inspiring creativity
Arts & Culture
Banff, AB


My anchor

Programs

About Canadian Stage:

Founded in 1988 through a merger of CentreStage and Toronto Free Theatre, Canadian Stage (CS) runs modern theatres in Toronto. CS hosts shows at Berkeley Street Theatre, Bluma Appel Theatre and High Park Amphitheatre. The charity aspires to integrate theatre with dance, film and visual arts. It also trains up and coming artists, provides training guides to theatre students and gives scholarships to the best students.

In F2015, Canadian Stage spent $5.1m on its shows. Canadian Stage organized multiple shows, including Shakespeare in High Park.  It funds new artists as part of Canadian Stage’s RBC Emerging Artist Program. The program involves free workshops and conferences, as well as ongoing training.  Canadian Stage has a volunteer internship program, which has yielded 100 graduates. Looking ahead to the 2016 – 2017 season, Canadian Stage is hosting many new performances: Dollhouse (a musical), Who Killed Spalding Gray (a political satire) and Concord Floral (a suburban thriller).

My anchor

Finances

Canadian Stage is a Mid-Cap charity which received donations and special events revenues of $3.7m. CS brought in ticket sales revenues of $2m in F2015, while spending $2.3m on marketing. Administrative costs are 8% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 15% of total donations. Total overhead costs are 23% and fall within Ci’s reasonable range. CS has total funding reserves of $1.3m that can cover its annual program costs for 3 months.

Financial Review


Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending June
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 8.3%8.4%8.8%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 14.6%17.1%19.4%
Program cost coverage (%) 24.8%25.1%23.2%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
201520142013
Donations 3,2472,7562,600
Government funding 2,2382,1482,329
Business activities (net) (341)(40)(170)
Special events 406482474
Investment income 111
Other income 748779530
Total revenues 6,3006,1255,763
Program costs 5,0894,8964,479
Administrative costs 522514507
Fundraising costs 534554596
Cash flow from operations 155162180
Funding reserves 1,2611,2271,037

Note: Ci reports net revenues from business activities, reducing both revenues and expenses by $2.3m in F2015, $2.4m in F2014 and $2.1m in F2013. Ci removed amortization from administrative and fundraising costs.

Salary Information

Full-time staff: 32

Avg. Compensation $72,885

Top 10 staff salary range

$350k +
0
$300k - $350k
0
$250k - $300k
1
$200k - $250k
0
$160k - $200k
0
$120k - $160k
1
$80k - $120k
3
$40k - $80k
5
< $40k
0

Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

My anchor

Comments & Contact

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity

Charity Contact

Website: www.canadianstage.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Print