You may also like:
Farm Radio International
It's amazing what good radio can do.
International Aid
Ottawa, ON
Canadian Foodgrains Bank
A Christian response to Hunger
International Aid
Winnipeg, MB
Oxfam Canada
Ending global poverty begins with women's rights
International Aid
Ottawa, ON

USC Canada

56 Sparks Street, Suite 600
Ottawa, ON K1P 5B1
Executive Director: Susan Walsh
Board Chair: Kenton Lobe

Charitable Reg. #: 11927 6129 RR0001
Sector: International Aid
Operating Charity

Results Reporting

Grade: B-

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to the Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #24

Avg. Compensation $75,834

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 1
$80k - $120k 5
$40k - $80k 4
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About USC Canada:

Founded in 1945, USC Canada is one of Canada’s oldest international aid charities. USC Canada helps small-scale farmers in 12 countries: Bangladesh, Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Canada, Cuba, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Honduras, Mali, Nepal, Nicaragua and Timor Leste. USC Canada takes an environmental approach: it teaches farmers to grow organic food that respects nature and biodiversity. USC Canada encourages farmers to grow local crops that are often more nutritious, cheaper, and better adapted to local climates. It teaches sustainable and environmentally-friendly practices to farmers, especially reaching out to young farmers and women.

Seeds of Survival is USC Canada’s core program, 95% of charity spending. 58% of donations are spent overseas. Internationally, Seeds of Survival focuses on saving seed biodiversity, improving ecological seed production and teaching small farmers the importance of seed diversity. In Canada, (38% of charity spending) USC Canada focuses on advancing research in seed growth and breeding. In each of the 12 international countries and also Canada, USC Canada raises awareness of seed diversity and sustainable farming practices.

In 2015, USC Canada reports its Nepal program helping 320 farmers increase food production by 75% since 2010. In Timor Leste, where the food system was ravaged by civil war, USC Canada’s program has reduced food shortages to just 4 weeks in 75% of its farmers, and turned 36 hectares of barren land into fertile farms. In Burkina Faso, USC Canada works with 8,492 people in 15 villages, where 80% of these farmers report a 25% improvement in crop yields. In Bolivia, USC Canada works in 66 villages saving soil and building irrigation systems; 230 households have more money from selling oca and herbs. In Honduras, USC Canada supports 800 small farms. The Seeds of Survival new maize and bean varieties were less affected by drought; USC Canada’s farmers actually saw yields increase 56%. In 2015, USC Canada began work in Guatemala and Nicaragua to replicate its Honduras program that supports small farmers.


Financial Review:

USC Canada is a medium-sized operating charity with annual donations totalling $2.7m in 2015. Administrative costs represent 9% of total revenue and fundraising costs represent 19% of total donations: USC Canada’s overhead costs of 28% are in Ci’s reasonable range. Combining USC Canada with its foundation, total funding reserves are $8.8m. These reserves cover USC Canada’s annual charity program spending 1.7 times in 2015.


Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending April
Administrative costs as % of revenues 9.0%11.4%13.1%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 18.6%18.3%23.6%
Program cost coverage (%) 168.4%212.0%230.1%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 2,7482,3871,946
Government funding 2,4812,2922,197
Investment income 596834683
Other income 3188371
Total revenues 6,1445,5974,897
Program costs - International 3,3222,8262,741
Program costs - Canada 1,8931,4241,014
Administrative costs 500540552
Fundraising costs 512436459
Cash flow from operations (83)371132
Funding reserves 8,7819,0088,637
Note: Charity Intelligence has consolidated the income, spending and assets for USC Canada and USC Canada Foundation to give donors a complete review. In F2015 $58k in endowment donations is shown. The deduction for bond premium amortization has been added to show investment income on a cash basis. This raises investment income $29k in F2015, and $30k in F2014.

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity
Go to top