CharityIntelligence Canada
You may also like:
Victoria Hospice Society
Quality end-of-life care for all
Health - Palliative
Victoria, BC
United Way of Greater Victoria
Together, we are possibility.
Fundraising Organization
Victoria, BC
Our Place
Live, share and grow together.
Social Services - Homeless (shelter)
Victoria, BC

Victoria Hospitals Foundation

1952 Bay Street
Victoria, BC V8R 1J8
Executive Director: Melanie Mahlman
Director: Susan Gee

Charitable Reg. #: 1079 35637 RR0001
Sector: Health - Hospital Foundation
Public Foundation

Results Reporting

Grade: C+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements available only upon request [Audited financial statement for most recent year]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to the Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #16

Avg. Compensation $73,758

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 1
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 2
$40k - $80k 7
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Victoria Hospitals Foundation:

Founded in 1967, Victoria Hospitals Foundation raises funds for  medical equipment and special projects at Royal Jubilee Hospital and Victoria General Hospital, which are Vancouver Island’s largest and most comprehensive health care resources.  Royal Jubilee Hospital specialises in cardiac, cancer and mental health care, serving more than 90k patients annually.  Specialising in trauma, pediatrics and neuroscience, Victoria General Hospital is the busiest hospital on Vancouver Island, serving nearly 100k patients annually.  

In F2015, the foundation granted $5.1m to  Royal Jubilee Hospital and Victoria General Hospital.  The foundation reported spending 42% on patient care, 23% on surgical services, 11% on special projects, 7% on maternity and pediatric care, 7% on cardiac care, 6% on general medicine, 1% on diagnostic services, 1% on adult intensive care, 0.6% on emergency and trauma care, 0.6% on neurosciences and rehabilitation, 0.6% on senior health, and 0.1% on mental health.  


Financial Review:

In F2015, Victoria Hospitals Foundation  spent 23% of revenues on administrative costs and 13% of donations on fundraising costs. Total overhead costs of 36% fall within Ci's reasonable range. The charity has funding reserves of $10.9m, which can cover annual programs for 2 years.

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by  Victoria Hospitals Foundation.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
Administrative costs as % of revenues 23.0%12.7%17.3%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 13.1%12.7%12.2%
Program cost coverage (%) 215.1%218.3%118.4%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 5,6849,7916,739
Lotteries (net) 394320264
Investment income 795487548
Total revenues 6,87210,5997,552
Grants 5,0565,1458,679
Administrative costs 1,4001,2821,213
Fundraising costs 7471,239821
Cash flow from operations (330)2,933(3,162)
Funding reserves 10,87711,23210,277
Note: Ci used fundraising allocations from the charity's T3010 CRA filing as the charity did not report fundraising costs separately from administration costs on its audited financial statements.