CharityIntelligence Canada
You may also like:
Indigenous education, Canada's future.
Social Services - Indigenous
Ohsweken, ON
Pathways to Education
Building a graduation nation
Toronto, ON
Junior Achievement Canada
A Member of JA Worldwide
Toronto, ON

Acadia University

15 University Avenue
Wolfville, NS B4P 2R6
President: Raymond E. Ivany
Board Chair: Paul Jewer

Charitable Reg. #: 10668 1893 RR0001
Sector: Education - University
Operating Charity

Results Reporting

Grade: C

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [Audited financial statement for most recent year]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to the Cause

2013 2014 2015
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #488

Avg. Compensation $93,843

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 1
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 1
$160k - $200k 8
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Acadia University:

Founded in 1838, Acadia University (AU) is a public liberal arts university with a 250-acre campus in Nova Scotia. The university’s aim is to train future global leaders and respected scholars by providing rigorous liberal education.

In F2015, Acadia University spent $71.4m on its programs, including $44.2m on salaries. AU gave out $4.7m in scholarships and bursaries. AU offers 200 combinations of undergraduate degrees in Arts, Pure and Applied Sciences, Professional Studies and Theology. It has a student to faculty ratio of 1:15 and an average class size of 28. 3,473 undergraduate and 225 graduate students study at the university. AU has 5 Canada Research Chairs and 20 research facilities and centres. Huffington Post ranks Acadia University as one of the top ten best universities for sports and recreation.

Financial Review:

Acadia University is a Big-Cap charity with donations of $11.4m along with tuition of $37.4m and government funding of $30.3m. Administrative costs are 14% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 4% of total donations. Total overhead costs come to 18%, falling within Ci’s reasonable range. AU has net funding reserves of $22.1m which can cover program costs for 4 months. Excluding donor-endowed funds of $78.5m, AU is in debt of $56.4m.  

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on August 23rd, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
Administrative costs as % of revenues 14.2%13.9%13.7%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 3.8%3.4%1.5%
Program cost coverage (%) 30.9%13.1%33.9%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 11,3548,07010,233
Government funding 30,26831,47929,365
Fees for service 37,35536,02034,239
Business activities (net) 11,09111,77211,036
Investment income 9,32215,6825,999
Other income 2,7962,5442,819
Total revenues 102,186105,56793,691
Program costs 71,44770,59267,589
Administrative costs 13,19012,50211,997
Fundraising costs 427273153
Other costs 4,2974,3124,739
Cash flow from operations 12,82517,8889,213
Funding reserves 22,1069,25022,900
Note: AU does not report administrative and fundraising costs on its audited financial statements. Ci took administrative and fundraising costs from the charity’s T3010 filings. Ci reported ancillary sales and services revenues net of expenses, reducing both revenues and expenses by $918k in F2015, $808k in F2014 and $556k in F2013. Ci included gifts of endowment principal to donations, increasing donations by $3.6m in F2015, $1.7m in F2014 and $1.7m in F2013. Ci also included increases in value of investments and unrealized gains on investments in its investment income calculations.