CharityIntelligence Canada
You may also like:
Shock Trauma Air Rescue Service
Offering time, hope and life-saving transport to critically ill and injured patients.
Calgary, AB
Lung Association of Saskatchewan
Improving lung health one breath at a time
Saskatoon, SK

Royal University Hospital Foundation

103 Hospital Drive
Saskatoon, SK S7N 0W8
Board Chair: Paul Babyn
CEO: Arla Gustafson

Charitable Reg. #: 11927 9131 RR0001
Sector: Health - Hospital Foundation
Public Foundation

Results Reporting

Grade: C+

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [Audited financial statement for most recent year]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to the Cause

2014 2015 2016
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #10

Avg. Compensation $84,941

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 0
$300k - $350k 0
$250k - $300k 0
$200k - $250k 0
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 3
$40k - $80k 6
< $40k 1
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

About Royal University Hospital Foundation:

Established in 1983, the Royal University Hospital Foundation raises funds for the Royal University Hospital, which is the primary trauma and treatment hospital in the province of Saskatchewan.  In F2015, the hospital received  42,037 adult emergency visits, performed  5,556 adult surgeries, and delivered  5,500 babies.  The hospital has  Saskatchewan’s busiest emergency department and is in the process of raising  $5m for a new emergency department that will open in 2019.  The hospital launched a trauma program pilot in October 2015 aimed at  faster response time and better patient flow.

The foundation's priorities include  research, education, and patient care of the Royal University Hospital.  In F2016, the foundation granted $2.8m to the  Royal University Hospital: $2.2m to patient care, $355k to education and fellowships, and $207k to research.

Financial Review:

In F2016, the Royal University Hospital Foundation spent 5% of revenues on administrative costs and 20% of donations on fundraising costs. Total overhead costs of 25% fall within Ci's reasonable range. The charity has funding reserves of $22m, including donor-endowed funds of $14m.  Total funding reserves can cover annual programs and grants for 6 years or 2.5 years excluding  donor-endowed funds.  

Analysis updated by Ruoxi Gao in 2016, currently under review by  the Royal University Hospital Foundation.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
Administrative costs as % of revenues 4.5%3.1%3.0%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 20.4%21.4%21.6%
Program cost coverage (%) 600.2%567.0%367.9%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 3,3463,1452,892
Fees for service 28967
Lotteries (net) 1,1921,204976
Special events 719789629
Investment income 31,5391,092
Total revenues 5,2876,7735,596
Program costs 812824765
Grants 2,7802,7434,017
Administrative costs 239160135
Fundraising costs 828843760
Cash flow from operations 6282,204(82)
Funding reserves 21,56220,22317,595
Note: Ci reported gift shop revenues net of expenses, lowering total revenue and total expenses by $293k in F2016 and $220k in F2015.  No gift shop revenue and expenses occurred in F2014.