CharityIntelligence Canada

Simon Fraser University

8888 University Dr
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6
President: Andrew Petter
Vice President: Joy Johnson

Charitable Reg. #: 11852 0725 RR0001
Sector: Education - University
Operating Charity

Charity Rating

[Charity Rating: 4/4]

Results Reporting

Grade: A

The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

Financial Transparency

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity's website [Audited financial statement for most recent year]

Need for Funding

Funding Reserves Program Costs

Spending Breakdown

Cents to the Cause

2014 2015 2016
For a dollar donated, cents funding the cause after fundraising and admin costs, excluding surplus.

Full-time staff #2,718

Avg. Compensation $119,906

Top 10 Staff Salary Range

$350k + 1
$300k - $350k 1
$250k - $300k 6
$200k - $250k 2
$160k - $200k 0
$120k - $160k 0
$80k - $120k 0
$40k - $80k 0
< $40k 0
Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2016

About Simon Fraser University:

Founded in 1965, Simon Fraser University (SFU) is a public research university in British Columbia with campuses in Burnaby, Vancouver and Surrey. SFU’s 3 goals are to research, teach and engage the community. The University reports 29,572 undergraduate students and 5,420 graduate students in F2016.

SFU has three core themes guiding its operations – engaging students, engaging research and engaging the community. With regards to students, in F2015 it had an undergraduate six-year graduation rate of 60% and a graduate student six-year graduation rate of 79%. It also reports that undergraduate students averaged 8.70 co-op credits per graduating student. Lastly, it reports that 80% of undergraduate students and 88% of graduate students found the knowledge and skills gained at SFU useful in performing their job. Maclean's University Guide reports that the university has extensive co-op offerings in its undergraduate programs. Its standout programs include the Bachelor of Environment, Business of Design and Mechatronic Systems Engineering.

For research, it has recorded 65,210 citations of published work as of F2015. The percentage of publications which were in the top 10% of academic journals was 32.3% in F2015. It also reports 399 funded collaborative research projects with external partners and 28 new patents filed in F2015. Its community programs recorded 58,901 participants and had partnered with 210 international entities.

Financial Review:

Simon Fraser University is one of Canada’s Major 100 charities with donations of $56.0m. Administrative costs are 8% of total revenues and fundraising costs are 10% of total donations, as taken from the charity’s T3010 filings. Total overhead costs come to 18%, falling within Ci’s reasonable range. SFU has total funding reserves of $707.4m, including an endowment fund of $302.9m. Excluding donor-endowed funds, SFU’s funding reserves can cover program costs for just over 9 months.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by the charity. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on July 7, 2017 by Josh Lam.

Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
Administrative costs as % of revenues 8.1%8.4%8.4%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 9.9%11.5%13.0%
Program cost coverage (%) 136.6%131.6%115.2%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $000s
Donations 55,95955,10945,440
Government funding 271,073293,565294,179
Fees for service 235,134222,062215,291
Business activities (net) 36,73436,37433,428
Investment income 39,01637,37024,230
Other income 8,8557,6387,177
Total revenues 646,771652,118619,745
Program costs 517,710490,118483,677
Administrative costs 49,34551,87049,849
Fundraising costs 5,5226,3355,903
Other costs 9,1829,2799,364
Cash flow from operations 65,01294,51670,952
Funding reserves 707,356644,888557,288
Note: SFU reports donations, including non-government grants and contracts that are not philanthropic, as is the accounting practice of BC’s universities. Ci included donations for endowments and investment income from endowments in its revenues calculation. SFU does not report administrative and fundraising costs on its audited financial statements. Ci took administrative and fundraising costs from the charity’s T3010 filings.