Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation
Vancouver, BC V6E 2N7
CEO: Lynne Hudson
Board Chair: Gail Chernin
Charitable Reg. #: 12799 3608 RR0001
Grade: B+The grade is based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.
Need for Funding
Cents to the Cause
Full-time staff #118
Avg. Compensation $111,275
Top 10 Staff Salary Range
|$300k - $350k||0|
|$250k - $300k||1|
|$200k - $250k||1|
|$160k - $200k||2|
|$120k - $160k||5|
|$80k - $120k||0|
|$40k - $80k||0|
About Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation:
Founded in 1986, Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation (CBCF) is a national funder of breast cancer research in Canada. In the past 20 years, CBCF has invested over $360m in breast cancer research. It also funds awareness and advocacy programs on breast cancer, the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women. 1 in 4 women
NEWS: On October 28,
Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation’s main fundraising event is Run for the Cure, where 104,000 people participated last year. The event contributed 71% of CBCF’s total revenues. It also has a regional funding campaign, through which CBCF allocated $7.5m to 24 research projects. The funded initiatives include research on early detection, new methods of treatment and prevention. In 2013, the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation held its Pink Tour where volunteers visited 90 communities across Canada to raise awareness of breast cancer. This year, CBCF held 33 workshops to promote healthier lifestyles to reduce the risk of developing breast cancer.
CBCF reports that its breast cancer research has contributed to the decreasing mortality rates and climbing survival rates of breast cancer victims. Since
Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation is one of Canada’s Major 100 charities as it received donations and special event revenue of $35.7m in F2016. The Run for The Cure event raised $26m alone. CBCF’s administrative costs are 8% of total revenues and its fundraising costs are 30% of donations. Total overhead costs come to 38%, which is in the upper end of Ci’s reasonable range. CBCF has funding reserves of $53.3m. Its total funding reserves can cover programs costs 1.8 times.
Donors, please note - CBCF's average salary information looks incorrect. This data is taken straight from CBCF's annual filings. In F2016 full time staff was reduced to 118 from 155 in F2015. The total cost of full time staff for F2016 may be divided by the end of year staff. As such, the $111,275 figure is significantly overstated. In F2015 CBCF reported average salary of $84,681 per full-time staff. Charity Intelligence does not factor staff salaries and benefits in its ratings or analysis.
This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.
Updated on June 1st, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.
Financial RatiosFiscal year ending March
|Administrative costs as % of revenues||15.9%||13.1%||13.0%|
|Fundraising costs as % of donations||37.1%||35.4%||36.4%|
|Program cost coverage (%)||212.3%||214.1%||213.2%|
Summary Financial StatementsAll figures in $000s
|Cash flow from operations||(4,710)||(2,806)||(2,687)|