466 Speers Road, Suite 200
Oakville, ON L6K 3W9
CEO: Brad Park
Board Chair: John Armstrong

Charitable Reg. #:10816 0243 RR0001

STAR RATING

Ci's Star Rating is calculated based on the following independent metrics:

🔓
Unlock Charity Ratings

✔+

FINANCIAL TRANSPARENCY

Audited financial statements for current and previous years available on the charity’s website.

B+

RESULTS REPORTING

Grade based on the charity's public reporting of the work it does and the results it achieves.

n/r

DEMONSTRATED IMPACT

The demonstrated impact per dollar Ci calculates from available program information.

NEED FOR FUNDING

Charity's cash and investments (funding reserves) relative to how much it spends on programs in most recent year.

76%

CENTS TO THE CAUSE

For a dollar donated, after overhead costs of fundraising and admin/management (excluding surplus) 76 cents are available for programs.



My anchor

Programs

About United Way of Oakville:

Founded in 1967, United Way Oakville (UWOAK) raises funds for local charities in Oakville. In 2015, it gave money to 33 local charities, funding 54 programs that reach 34,000 people. Its key granting focus is education, poverty and mental health. United Way Oakville also works with the government and unions to tackle community social problems.

UWOAK granted $2.2m to community programs in F2015. No exhaustive list of the funded charities is provided but includes: $323k to Halton Family Services, $218k to Big Brothers Big Sisters Halton, $127k to Distress Centres Oakville, $103k to Radius Children and Youth Services, and $103k to ROCK, an Oakville youth outreach centre. Its funded charities treat children affected by drug and interpersonal abuse. United Way Oakville funded Food for Life Canada that fed 6,000 meals to poor people. United Way Oakville also gave Community Living Oakville $46k that helps house and provide independent living to 118 people with disabilities. United Way Oakville runs a telephone help line, “211.” This help line gives free information and references in multiple languages to community services.

The mental health campaigns create more awareness of mental health issues, especially in children and youth. Since 2012, United Way Oakville ran the “Can You See Me?” campaign to reduce the stigma around mental health. UWOAK reports that 89% of corporate employees now view mental health differently than before.

Donor Advisory: United Way Oakville, United Way Burlington & Greater Hamilton, United Way Halton Hills and United Way Milton have officially merged to form United Way Halton and Hamilton on April 1st, 2017.

My anchor

Finances

United Way of Oakville is a medium-sized charity which received donations and special event revenues of $4.3m in F2015. Administrative costs are 4% of revenues and fundraising costs are 20% of donations. Total overhead costs come to 24%, which falls within Ci’s reasonable range. UWOAK has funding reserves of $3.9m of which $300k are donor-endowed. Total reserves can cover UWOAK’s annual program costs 1.5 times.

This charity report is an update that is being reviewed by United Way of Oakville. Changes and edits may be forthcoming.

Updated on June 9th, 2016 by Mirza Ali Shakir.

Financial Review


Financial Ratios

Fiscal year ending March
201520142013
Administrative costs as % of revenues 4.3%4.5%4.0%
Fundraising costs as % of donations 20.1%18.8%19.2%
Program cost coverage (%) 148.7%147.3%151.7%

Summary Financial Statements

All figures in $s
201520142013
Donations 4,172,9154,166,9003,975,962
Government funding 26,45812,3100
Special events 140,200134,743145,900
Investment income 280,668346,007201,603
Other income 26,9779,213121,629
Total revenues 4,647,2184,669,1734,445,094
Program costs 398,411384,279357,435
Grants 2,242,9652,275,7622,286,871
Donor-designated donations 865,020656,021561,565
Administrative costs 189,499195,413168,736
Fundraising costs 864,642808,875790,222
Other costs 0033,900
Cash flow from operations 86,681348,823246,365
Funding reserves 3,928,5283,919,4054,010,956

Note:   Ci has removed administrative costs from program expenses to report administrative costs separately. 

Salary Information

Full-time staff: 14

Avg. Compensation $70,195

Top 10 staff salary range

$350k +
0
$300k - $350k
0
$250k - $300k
0
$200k - $250k
0
$160k - $200k
0
$120k - $160k
0
$80k - $120k
2
$40k - $80k
8
< $40k
0

Information from most recent CRA Charities Directorate filings for F2015

My anchor

Comments & Contact

Comments added by the Charity:

No comments have been added by charity

Charity Contact

Website: www.uwoakville.org
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Print